Capitalcube gives Banco Santander SA a score of 79.
Our analysis is based on comparing Banco Santander SA with the following peers – Commerzbank AG, Allied Irish Banks p.l.c., Deutsche Bank AG, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Banco Bradesco SA Pfd, Barclays PLC, Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. and HSBC Holdings plc (CBK-DE, AIB1-IE, DBK-DE, LLOY-GB, XBBDC-ES, BARC-GB, BBVA-HU and HSBA-GB).
Banco Santander SA has a fundamental score of 79 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
- It’s current Price/Book of 0.92 is about median in its peer group.
- BSD2-DE‘s operating performance is relatively good compared to its peers. The market currently does not expect high earnings growth relative to its peers but seems to expect the company to maintain its relatively high rates of return.
- BSD2-DE has a successful operating model with relatively high net profit margins and capital turns.
- Changes in annual earnings are in line with its chosen peers but lags in terms of revenue, implying the company is cost conscious and selective about spending for growth.
- BSD2-DE‘s return on equity currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- BSD2-DE‘s revenue growth in recent years and current P/E ratio are both around their respective peer medians suggesting that historical performance and long-term growth expectations for the company are largely in sync.
- The company’s level of equity capital investment seems appropriate to support the company’s growth.
- BSD2-DE seems too levered to raise additional debt.
Drivers of Margin
- BSD2-DE‘s operations benefit from both a pricing and an operating cost advantage.
- The company’s comparatively high proportion of net interest income (net interest income/total revenues) of 72.46% versus peer median of 53.61% suggests that BSD2-DE‘s lending operations show some differentiation with pricing advantages. Further, BSD2-DE‘s pre-tax margin is also more than the peer median (25.31% compared to 15.04%) suggesting relatively low operating costs.
- The company’s comparatively low proportion of fee based income (i.e. non interest income/total revenues) of 27.54% versus peer median of 46.39% — suggests that BSD2-DE‘s operating margins are likely to be more volatile. In contrast, BSD2-DE‘s proportion of overhead costs (i.e. non interest expense/total revenues) is less than peer median (48.20x compared to 74.55x) — suggesting relatively low fee-based overhead operations or even room for expanding this part of business.
Quadrant label definitions. Hover to know more
Banco Santander SA engages in the provision of banking services for individuals, companies, and institutions. It operates through the following segments: Retail Banking, Santander Global Corporate Banking, and Real Estate Operations in Spain. The Retail Banking segment covers all customers banking businesses, including private banking. The Santander Global Corporate Banking segment involves global corporate banking, investment banking, and markets worldwide including all treasuries managed globally, both trading and distribution to customers. The Real Estate Operations in Spain segment includes loans to customers in Spain whose activity is mainly real estate development, equity stakes in real estate companies, and foreclosed assets. The company was founded on March 21, 1857 and is headquartered in Madrid, Spain.