Capitalcube gives Cairn Energy Plc a score of 57.
Our analysis is based on comparing Cairn Energy Plc with the following peers – Premier Oil plc, Ophir Energy plc, Rockhopper Exploration plc, Faroe Petroleum plc, Tullow Oil plc and JKX Oil & Gas plc (PMO-GB, OPHR-GB, RKH-GB, FPM-GB, TLW-GB and JKX-GB).
Cairn Energy Plc has a fundamental score of 57 and has a relative valuation of OVERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Cairn Energy Plc
- Taking peer performance into consideration, relative performance over the last month and last year is around the peer median.
- It’s current Price/Book of 0.69 is about median in its peer group.
- CNE-GB outperforms its peers with a relatively high operating performance and the market also expects faster growth relative to its peers
- CNE-GB‘s relatively high profit margins are burdened by relative asset inefficiency.
- Change in the company’s annual revenues seems to be coming at the expense of earnings.
- Over the last five years, CNE-GB‘s return on assets has improved from below median to better than the median among its peers, suggesting that the company has improved its relative operations markedly.
- The company’s median gross margin and relatively high pre-tax margins suggest non-differentiated product portfolio but with tight cost control relative to peers.
- The company’s capital investment program suggests it is under-investing in a business that is producing peer median returns.
- CNE-GB‘s operating performance may not allow it to raise additional debt.
Access our research and ratings on Cairn Energy Plc
Leverage & Liquidity
CNE-GB would seem to have a hard time raising additional debt.
- With debt at a relatively low 17.43% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 19.59%), and relatively tight interest coverage level of -7.38x, CNE-GB would have a hard time raising much additional debt. Thus, the company is classified as having Limited Flexibility when it comes to raising more debt.
- Of the 6 chosen peers for the company, only 5 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include RKH-GB.
CNE-GB has maintained its Constrained profile from the prior year-end.
- CNE-GB‘s interest coverage is its highest over the last four years and compares to a low of -287.63x in 2012.
- Though its interest coverage increased to -7.38x from -25.48x (in 2015), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at -0.54.
- Interest coverage rose 17.99 points relative to peers.
- CNE-GB‘s debt-EV is its highest over the last four years and compares to a low of 0% in 2015.
- While its debt-EV increased to 17.43% from 0% (in 2015), its peer median decreased during this period to 19.59% from 45.76%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV rose 43.61 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Cairn Energy Plc
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Premier Oil plc||99.87||0.81||1.05||14.54|
|Ophir Energy plc||16.45||9.02||-0.85||50.84|
|Rockhopper Exploration plc||0||3.36||No interest exp||999|
|Faroe Petroleum plc||19.59||1.78||-2.16||254.26|
|Tullow Oil plc||64.32||1.7||1.27||15.46|
|JKX Oil & Gas plc||30.03||0.25||-0.54||-59.65|
|Cairn Energy Plc||17.43||1.34||-7.38||-33.34|
|Best In Class||16.45||9.02||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Cairn Energy Plc?
Cairn Energy Plc is an independent oil and gas exploration and development company. It explores, discovers, develops and produces oil and gas assets globally. The company was founded by William Benjamin Bowring Gammell in 1980 and is headquartered in Edinburgh, the United Kingdom.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.