Capitalcube gives Calpine Corp. a score of 25.
Our analysis is based on comparing Calpine Corp. with the following peers – Sempra Energy, Ormat Technologies, Inc., CenterPoint Energy, Inc., ALLETE, Inc., SCANA Corporation, Dominion Resources, Inc., Ameren Corporation, CMS Energy Corporation, OGE Energy Corp. and Entergy Corporation (SRE-US, ORA-US, CNP-US, ALE-US, SCG-US, D-US, AEE-US, CMS-US, OGE-US and ETR-US).
Calpine Corp. has a fundamental score of 25 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Calpine Corp.
- Considering peers, relative underperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a lagging position.
- Calpine Corporation trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (1.28) than its peer median (1.93).
- The market expects faster earnings growth from CPN-US than from its peers and also a turnaround in its current ROE.
- CPN-US has relatively low net profit margins while its asset efficiency is relatively high.
- Compared with its chosen peers, the company’s annual revenues and earnings change at a slower rate, implying a lack of strategic focus and/or lack of execution success.
- CPN-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s relatively low gross and pre-tax margins suggest a non-differentiated product portfolio and not much control on operating costs relative to peers.
- Compared with the peers chosen, CPN-US has had faster revenue growth in prior years and a current P/E ratio that suggests faster growth in the future suggesting superior growth expectations.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- CPN-US seems too levered to raise additional debt.
Access our research and ratings on Calpine Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
CPN-US would seem to have a hard time raising additional debt.
- With debt at a relatively high 80.43% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 41.73%), and relatively tight interest coverage level of 0.62x, CPN-US would have a hard time raising much additional debt. The company has a Constrained profile in terms of its ability to take on further debt.
- All 10 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
CPN-US has maintained its Limited Flexibility profile from the recent year-end.
- CPN-US‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 2.30x in 2014.
- Compared to 2015, interest coverage has remained relatively stable for both the company (0.62x) and the peer median (2.98x).
- CPN-US‘s debt-EV has declined 3.01 percentage points from last year’s high but remains above its five-year average debt-EV of 68.03.
- The decrease in its debt-EV to 80.43% from 83.44% (in 2015) was also accompanied by a decrease in its peer median during this period to 41.73% from 42.29%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 2.45 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Calpine Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Ormat Technologies, Inc.||25.71||1.53||3.19||25.74|
|CenterPoint Energy, Inc.||49.24||1.05||1.99||24.78|
|Dominion Resources, Inc.||42.21||0.42||2.98||13.66|
|CMS Energy Corporation||46.52||1.06||2.98||15.26|
|OGE Energy Corp.||31.05||0.69||3.11||26.05|
|Best In Class||25.71||1.61||3.64||26.05|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Calpine Corp.?
Calpine Corp. is a power producer company, which develops, constructs, owns and operates a modern and flexible fleet of low-carbon, natural gas-fired and renewable geothermal power plants. The company sells wholesale power, steam, regulatory capacity, renewable energy credits and ancillary services, including utilities, independent electric system operators, industrial and agricultural companies, retail power providers, municipalities, power marketers and others. Its portfolio is primarily comprised of two types of power generation technologies: natural gas-fired combustion turbines, which are primarily efficient combined-cycle plants, and renewable geothermal conventional steam turbines. The company generates power in a reliable and environmentally responsible manner for the customers and communities it serves. It operates through four segments: West (including geothermal), Texas, North (including Canada) and Southeast. Calpine was founded by Peter Cartwright in June 1984 and is headquartered in Houston, TX.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.