Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B relative valuation is now OVERVALUED. It was previously rated NEUTRAL, and has a fundamental analysis score of 71.
Our analysis is based on comparing Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B with the following peers – Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras SA-Eletrobras Pfd B, Cia Energetica de Minas Gerais Cemig CMIG Pfd and EDP – Energias de Portugal SA (XELTB-ES, XCMIG-ES and EDP-DE).
Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B’s price of EUR 9.59 is greater than CapitalCube’s implied price of EUR 6.96. At this level, CapitalCube believes that Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B is overvalued. Over the last 52 week period, the stock has fluctuated between EUR 9.25 and EUR 14.04.
- Relative outperformance over the last year has faded more recently.
- Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (0.29) than its peer median (0.51).
- The market expects XCOP-ES to grow at about the same rate as the peers and to maintain the median returns it currently generates.
- XCOP-ES‘s median net profit margins and relatively high asset efficiency give it some operating leverage.
- Changes in annual revenues (relative to peers) are better than the change in its earnings (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on revenues.
- XCOP-ES‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- The company’s margins are around the peer medians and do not suggest any benefit from a pricing or an operating cost advantage versus peers.
- While XCOP-ES‘s revenues in recent years have grown faster than the peer median, the market gives the stock a PE ratio that is around peer median suggesting that the market has some questions about the company’s long-term strategy.
- The company’s level of capital investment seems appropriate to support the company’s growth.
Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B has a fundamental score of 71 and has a relative valuation of OVERVALUED.
Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B appears on the top right hand quadrant of CapitalCube’s Value – Price Matrix. We classify this as ‘Safety’. In other words, Companhia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL Pfd B has a relatively high Fundamental Analysis score of 71, while being potentially overvalued and trading higher than its CapitalCube Implied Price of 6.96. There might be some safety in this stock where it’s fundamental strength perhaps justifies its relatively higher price.
Drivers of Valuation
The market expects XCOP-ES to maintain the median rates of return it generates currently.
The market expects XCOP-ES to grow at about the same rate as its chosen peers (PE of 3.21 compared to peer median of 3.21) and to maintain the peer median return (ROE of 9.30%) it currently generates.
The company trades at a lower Price/Book multiple of 0.29 compared to its peer median of 0.51.
XCOP-ES has maintained its median ROE and PE profile from the prior year-end.
A complete list of valuation metrics is available on the company page.
Companhia Paranaense de Energia engages in the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity. The company also provides telecommunications and other services. It operates through five business segments: Power Generation and Transmission, Power distribution and Sales, Telecommunications, Gas and Holding Company. The Power Generation and Transmission segment comprises the generation of electric energy from hydraulic, wind, and thermal projects, the transport and transformation of the power generated by the company, and the construction, operation, and maintenance of all power transmission substations and lines. The Power Distribution and Sales segment comprises the distribution and sale of electric energy, the operation and maintenance of the distribution infrastructure, and related services. The Telecommunications segment comprises telecommunications and general communications services. The Gas segment comprises the public service of piped natural gas distribution. The Holding Company segment comprises participation in other companies. Companhia Paranaense de Energia was founded on October 26, 1954 and is headquartered in Curitiba, Brazil.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.