Capitalcube gives Duke Energy Corp. a score of 19.
Our analysis is based on comparing Duke Energy Corp. with the following peers – Xcel Energy Inc., Southern Company, SCANA Corporation, American Electric Power Company, Inc., Dominion Energy Inc, PPL Corporation, FirstEnergy Corp., PG&E Corporation, Ameren Corporation and NextEra Energy, Inc. (XEL-US, SO-US, SCG-US, AEP-US, D-US, PPL-US, FE-US, PCG-US, AEE-US and NEE-US).
Duke Energy Corp. has a fundamental score of 19 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Duke Energy Corp.
- Compared to peers, relative outperformance over the last year has faded more recently.
- It trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (1.47) than its peer median (2.08).
- The market expects DUK-US‘s earnings to grow at about the same rate as its chosen peers and also does not seem to expect much improvement in its below peer median returns.
- DUK-US employs relatively high amounts of assets while generating relatively median profit margins.
- Compared with its chosen peers, the company’s annual revenues and earnings change at a slower rate, implying a lack of strategic focus and/or lack of execution success.
- DUK-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s margins are around the peer medians and do not suggest any benefit from a pricing or an operating cost advantage versus peers.
- While DUK-US‘s revenues growth has been below the peer median in the last few years, the market still gives the stock a P/E ratio that is around peer median and seems to see the company as a long-term strategic bet.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- DUK-US seems to be constrained by the current level of debt.
Access our research and ratings on Duke Energy Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
DUK-US is debt-constrained.
- With debt at a relatively high 48.29% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 39.29%), and interest coverage level of 2.95x, DUK-US seems debt-constrained.
- All 10 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
DUK-US has moved to a relatively high leverage from an Some Capacity profile at the recent year-end.
- DUK-US‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 3.61x in 2015.
- Compared to 2016, interest coverage has remained relatively stable for both the company (2.95x) and the peer median (3.40x).
- DUK-US‘s debt-EV is greater than (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 46.61%.
- Though its debt-EV has remained relatively stable at 48.29% compared to 2016, its peer median has decreased to 39.29% from 41.98% during this period.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV rose 2.69 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Duke Energy Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Xcel Energy Inc.||39.29||0.87||3.4||22.06|
|American Electric Power Company, Inc.||39.2||0.56||3.39||19.99|
|Dominion Energy Inc||41.27||0.47||2.88||13.99|
|NextEra Energy, Inc.||33.94||0.61||3.82||19.71|
|Duke Energy Corporation||48.29||0.71||2.95||13.43|
|Best In Class||33.94||0.88||4.1||35.48|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Duke Energy Corp.?
Duke Energy Corp. engages in electric power and gas distribution operations, and provides other energy related services. It operates its business through the following segments: Regulated Utilities, International Energy, and Commercial Portfolio. The Regulated Utilities segment conducts electric and gas operations primarily through Duke Energy Carolinas, Duke Energy Progress, Duke Energy Florida, Duke Energy Indiana, and the regulated transmission and distribution operations of Duke Energy Ohio. The International Energy segment principally operates and manages power generation facilities and engages in the sales and marketing of electric power, natural gas, and natural gas liquids outside the U.S. The Commercial Portfolio segment owns, operates and manages power plants and engages in the wholesale marketing and procurement of electric power, fuel and emission allowances related to these plants as well as other contractual positions. The company was founded on April 3, 2006 and is headquartered in Charlotte, NC.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.