Capitalcube gives FirstEnergy Corp. a score of 13.
Our analysis is based on comparing FirstEnergy Corp. with the following peers – Consolidated Edison, Inc., Public Service Enterprise Group Inc, Exelon Corporation, American Electric Power Company, Inc., PPL Corporation, Dominion Resources, Inc., Southern Company, NextEra Energy, Inc. and NRG Energy, Inc. (ED-US, PEG-US, EXC-US, AEP-US, PPL-US, D-US, SO-US, NEE-US and NRG-US).
FirstEnergy Corp. has a fundamental score of 13 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on FirstEnergy Corp.
- Considering peers, relative underperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a lagging position.
- It’s current Price/Book of 2.18 is about median in its peer group.
- FE-US‘s EBITDA-based price multiple implies slower growth than its peers despite its current comparatively high EBITDA-based returns.
- FE-US has relatively low net profit margins while its asset efficiency is relatively high.
- Compared with its chosen peers, the company’s annual revenues and earnings change at a slower rate, implying a lack of strategic focus and/or lack of execution success.
- FE-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s median gross margin and relatively low pre-tax margin suggest high operating costs versus peers.
- FE-US‘s revenues have grown more slowly than the peer median over the last few years, which combined with the stock price’s relatively low Price/EBITDA ratio suggests substandard growth expectations relative to peers.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- FE-US seems to be constrained by the current level of debt.
Access our research and ratings on FirstEnergy Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
FE-US is debt-constrained.
- With debt at a relatively high 62.90% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 44.09%), and interest coverage level of 2.12x, FE-US seems debt-constrained.
- All 9 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
FE-US has maintained its relatively high leverage profile from the prior year-end.
- FE-US‘s interest coverage is similar to its four-year average interest coverage of 2.11x.
- Compared to 2015, interest coverage has remained relatively stable for both the company (2.12x) and the peer median (3.17x).
- FE-US‘s debt-EV is similar to last year’s high of 62.93%, which compares to the 2013 low of 52.90%.
- Though its debt-EV has remained relatively stable at 62.90% compared to 2015, its peer median has increased to 44.09% from 43.48% during this period.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 0.63 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for FirstEnergy Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Consolidated Edison, Inc.||42.17||0.89||3.81||20.76|
|Public Service Enterprise Group Inc||35.33||0.99||3.43||30.87|
|American Electric Power Company, Inc.||42.33||0.64||3.6||22.88|
|Dominion Resources, Inc.||41.27||0.52||2.92||14.41|
|NextEra Energy, Inc.||36.18||0.68||2.53||21.67|
|NRG Energy, Inc.||87.14||1.46||1.25||11.1|
|Best In Class||35.33||1.46||4.03||30.87|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for FirstEnergy Corp.?
FirstEnergy Corp. operates as a diversified energy company. It engages in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity, as well as energy management and other energy-related services through its subsidiaries. It operates through the following segments: Regulated Distribution, Regulated Transmission, and Competitive Energy Services (CES). The Regulated Distribution segment distributes electricity through FirstEnergy’s utility operating companies, serving various customers within Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. The Regulated Transmission segment transmits electricity through transmission facilities owned and operated by FirstEnergy’s utilities and the regulatory assets. The CES segment supplies electricity to end-use customers through retail and wholesale arrangements, including competitive retail sales to customers primarily in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and Maryland, and the provision of partial POLR and default service for some utilities in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland, including the utilities. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in Akron, OH.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.