Capitalcube gives Forward Air Corp. a score of 66.
Our analysis is based on comparing Forward Air Corp. with the following peers – Expeditors International of Washington, Inc., Roadrunner Transportation Systems, Inc., FedEx Corporation, Universal Logistics Holdings, Inc., Saia, Inc., Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. and ArcBest Corporation (EXPD-US, RRTS-US, FDX-US, ULH-US, SAIA-US, ODFL-US and ARCB-US).
Forward Air Corp. has a fundamental score of 66 and has a relative valuation of NEUTRAL.
Access our research and ratings on Forward Air Corp.
- Compared to peers, relative underperformance last month is down from a median performance last year.
- It’s current Price/Book of 3.35 is about median in its peer group.
- The market expects FWRD-US to grow at about the same rate as the peers and to maintain the median returns it currently generates.
- FWRD-US has relatively high profit margins while operating with median asset turns.
- Changes in annual revenues (relative to peers) are better than the change in its earnings (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on revenues.
- Over the last five years, FWRD-US‘s return on assets has improved from median to better than the median among its peers, suggesting the company has found relative operating advantages.
- The company’s relatively high pre-tax margin suggests tight control on operating costs versus peers.
- While FWRD-US‘s revenues in recent years have grown faster than the peer median, the market gives the stock a P/E ratio that is around peer median suggesting that the market has some questions about the company’s long-term strategy.
- The company’s capital investment program suggests it is under-investing in a business that is producing peer median returns.
- FWRD-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
Access our research and ratings on Forward Air Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
FWRD-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
- With debt at a relatively low 1.99% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 14.65%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 92.25x, FWRD-US can probably borrow quickly. We classify the company as Quick & Able in terms of its capacity to raise additional debt.
- Of the 7 chosen peers for the company, only 6 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include EXPD-US.
FWRD-US has maintained its Quick & Able profile from the recent year-end.
- FWRD-US‘s interest coverage is upward trending but is still within one standard deviation below its five-year average interest coverage of 128.47x.
- The increase in its interest coverage to 92.25x from 64.13x (in 2016) was also accompanied by an increase in its peer median during this period to 13.04x from 9.48x.
- Interest coverage rose 24.56 points relative to peers.
- FWRD-US‘s debt-EV is similar to its five-year average debt-EV of 1.67%.
- Compared to 2016, debt-EV has remained relatively stable for both the company (1.99%) and the peer median (14.65%).
Access the detailed analysis for Forward Air Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Expeditors International of Washington, Inc.||0||2.34||No interest exp||999|
|Roadrunner Transportation Systems, Inc.||57.31||0.64||2.43||18.23|
|Universal Logistics Holdings, Inc.||36.82||1.1||1.94||22.47|
|Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.||1.47||1.44||205.46||526.21|
|Forward Air Corporation||1.99||2.71||92.25||382.32|
|Best In Class||1.47||2.71||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Forward Air Corp.?
Forward Air Corp. engages in the provision of surface transportation and logistics services to air freight market. It operates through the following segments: Expedited Less-Than-Truckload, Truckload Premium Services, Intermodal, and Pool Distribution. The Expedited Less-Than-Truckload segment offers customers local pick-up, delivery, and services including shipment consolidation and deconsolidation, warehousing, customs brokerage, and handling. The Truckload Premium Services segment offers expedited truckload brokerage, dedicated fleet, as well as high security and temperature controlled logistics services. The Intermodal segment includes first and last-mile high value intermodal container drayage services to and from seaports and railheads. The Pool Distribution segment involves in handling and distribution of time sensitive product. The company was founded by Scott M. Niswonger on October 23, 1981 and is headquartered in Greeneville, TN.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.