Capitalcube gives Gear Energy Ltd. a score of 34.
Our analysis is based on comparing Gear Energy Ltd. with the following peers – Crew Energy Inc., Journey Energy Inc and Arctic Hunter Energy Inc. (CR-CA, JOY-CA and AHU-CA).
Gear Energy Ltd. has a fundamental score of 34 and has a relative valuation of NEUTRAL.
Access our research and ratings on Gear Energy Ltd.
- With respect to peers, relative outperformance over the last year is in contrast to the more recent underperformance.
- It’s current Price/Book of 0.99 is about median in its peer group.
- GXE-CA‘s EBITDA-based operating performance is better than its peers. The price to EBITDA multiple does not imply high future growth but seems to predict the company will maintain its relatively high operating returns on the existing level of capital.
- GXE-CA has relatively low net profit margins while its asset efficiency is relatively high.
- Change in the company’s annual revenues seems to be coming at the expense of earnings.
- Over the last five years, GXE-CA‘s return on assets has declined from about median to less than the median among its peers suggesting that the company’s historical competitiveness in operations is slipping away.
- The company’s median gross margin and relatively high pre-tax margins suggest non-differentiated product portfolio but with tight cost control relative to peers.
- While GXE-CA‘s revenues in recent years have grown faster than the peer median, the market gives the stock a Price/EBITDA ratio that is around peer median suggesting that the market has some questions about the company’s long-term strategy.
- The company’s capital investment program suggests it is under-investing in a business that is producing peer median returns.
- GXE-CA‘s operating performance may not allow it to raise additional debt.
Access our research and ratings on Gear Energy Ltd.
Leverage & Liquidity
GXE-CA would seem to have a hard time raising additional debt.
- With debt at 26.97% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 30.62%), and relatively tight interest coverage level of -0.13x, GXE-CA would have a hard time raising much additional debt.
- Of the 3 chosen peers for the company, only 2 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include AHU-CA.
GXE-CA has moved to a relatively low liquidity from a Constrained profile at the recent year-end.
- GXE-CA‘s interest coverage is upward trending but is still within one standard deviation below its five-year average interest coverage of 0.38x.
- The increase in its interest coverage to -0.13x from -2.33x (in 2016) was also accompanied by an increase in its peer median during this period to 0.63x from -1.26x.
- GXE-CA‘s debt-EV has increased 10.20 percentage points from last year’s low but is still below its five-year average debt-EV of 36.75.
- Like the interest coverage trend, the increase in its debt-EV (to 26.97% from 16.77%) was also accompanied by an increase in its peer median during this period (to 30.62% from 17.18%).
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 3.25 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Gear Energy Ltd.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Crew Energy Inc.||34.28||1.43||1.08||33.89|
|Journey Energy Inc||54.05||0.29||0.17||35.79|
|Arctic Hunter Energy Inc.||0||2.42||No interest exp||999|
|Gear Energy Ltd.||26.97||1.76||-0.13||69.05|
|Best In Class||26.97||2.42||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Gear Energy Ltd.?
Gear Energy Ltd. is a exploration and production company. which engages in the acquisition, exploration, and production of oil and gas properties. Its oil and gas properties are located in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. The company was founded on June 25, 2007 and is headquartered in Calgary, Canada.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.