Capitalcube gives Intrepid Potash, Inc. a score of 9.
Our analysis is based on comparing Intrepid Potash, Inc. with the following peers – Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc., Compass Minerals International, Inc., Ciner Resources LP, Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile SA Pfd Series A, Mosaic Company, Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Class A, Agrium Inc., Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. and CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (POT-US, CMP-US, CINR-US, SQM.A-CL, MOS-US, SMG-US, AGU-US, TNH-US and CF-US).
Intrepid Potash, Inc. has a fundamental score of 9 and has a relative valuation of NEUTRAL.
Access our research and ratings on Intrepid Potash, Inc.
- Compared to peers, relative outperformance over the last year has faded more recently.
- It trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (1.25) than its peer median (2.26).
- IPI-US‘s EBITDA-based price implies better than peer median growth.The market seems to expect a turnaround in the company’s current EBITDA-based return on equity.
- IPI-US‘s relatively low net margins and poor asset turns suggest a problematic operating strategy.
- Changes in annual earnings (relative to peers) are better than the change in its revenues (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on earnings.
- IPI-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s relatively low gross and pre-tax margins suggest a non-differentiated product portfolio and not much control on operating costs relative to peers.
- While IPI-US‘s revenues have increased slower than peer median, the market currently gives the company a higher than peer median Price/EBITDA ratio and may be factoring in some sort of a strategic play.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- IPI-US seems too levered to raise additional debt.
Access our research and ratings on Intrepid Potash, Inc.
Leverage & Liquidity
IPI-US would seem to have a hard time raising additional debt.
- With debt at a relatively high 46.54% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 28.62%), and relatively tight interest coverage level of -1.82x, IPI-US would have a hard time raising much additional debt. The company has a Constrained profile in terms of its ability to take on further debt.
- Of the 9 chosen peers for the company, only 8 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include TNH-US.
IPI-US has maintained its Limited Flexibility profile from the recent year-end.
- IPI-US‘s interest coverage is upward trending but is still within one standard deviation below its five-year average interest coverage of 31.77x.
- While its interest coverage increased to -1.82x from -4.44x (in 2016), its peer median decreased during this period to 3.03x from 4.28x.
- Interest coverage rose 3.88 points relative to peers. It is also below the 2.50x coverage benchmark unlike the peer median.
- IPI-US‘s debt-EV is greater than (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 29.77%.
- Though its debt-EV has remained relatively stable at 46.54% compared to 2016, its peer median has increased to 28.62% from 25.80% during this period.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 2.82 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Intrepid Potash, Inc.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.||23.22||0.99||2.66||27.56|
|Compass Minerals International, Inc.||34.02||2.52||2.64||15.02|
|Ciner Resources LP||12.93||3.48||22.84||83.2|
|Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile SA Pfd Series A||8.31||3.79||11.79||59.29|
|Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Class A||N/A||1.62||5.65||24.82|
|Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P.||0||2.96||No interest exp||999|
|CF Industries Holdings, Inc.||38.4||1.71||0.58||13.52|
|Intrepid Potash, Inc.||46.54||4.71||-1.82||20.9|
|Best In Class||8.31||4.71||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Intrepid Potash, Inc.?
Intrepid Potash, Inc. produces and markets muriate of potash and langbeinite products. Its langbeinite is a low-chloride potassium fertilizer with the additional benefits of sulfate and magnesium. The company also offers by-products, such as salt, magnesium chloride and metal recovery salts. It serves agricultural, industrial, and animal feed markets. Intrepid Potash was founded on November 19, 2007 and is headquartered in Denver, CO.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.