Capitalcube gives Kellogg Co. a score of 50.
Our analysis is based on comparing Kellogg Co. with the following peers – General Mills, Inc., Mondelez International, Inc. Class A, TreeHouse Foods, Inc., PepsiCo, Inc., Hain Celestial Group, Inc., Post Holdings, Inc., Tyson Foods, Inc. Class A and Flowers Foods, Inc. (GIS-US, MDLZ-US, THS-US, PEP-US, HAIN-US, POST-US, TSN-US and FLO-US).
Kellogg Co. has a fundamental score of 50 and has a relative valuation of OVERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Kellogg Co.
- From a peer analysis angle, relative underperformance over the last year has improved more recently.
- It currently trades at a Price/Book ratio of (12.21).
- K-US outperforms its peers with a relatively high operating performance and the market also expects faster growth relative to its peers
- K-US‘s relative asset efficiency and net profit margins are both around the median level.
- Changes in annual earnings are in line with its chosen peers but lags in terms of revenue, implying the company is cost conscious and selective about spending for growth.
- K-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years is around the peer median and suggest that it does not have any particular operational advantages versus peers.
- The company’s margins are around the peer medians and do not suggest any benefit from a pricing or an operating cost advantage versus peers.
- While K-US‘s revenues have increased slower than peer median, the market currently gives the company a higher than peer median P/E ratio and may be factoring in some sort of a strategic play.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- K-US has additional debt capacity.
Access our research and ratings on Kellogg Co.
Leverage & Liquidity
K-US has additional debt capacity.
- With debt at a reasonable 24.09% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 22.23%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 11.07x, K-US has the capacity to borrow some more.
- All 8 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
K-US has maintained its relatively high liquidity profile from the recent year-end.
- K-US‘s interest coverage has increased 6.95 points from last year’s low and is now above its five-year average interest coverage of 7.53.
- Though its interest coverage increased to 11.07x from 4.11x (in 2016), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at 8.31x.
- Interest coverage rose 7.21 points relative to peers (and is now higher than its peer median).
- K-US‘s debt-EV has increased 0.82 percentage points from last year’s low but is still below its five-year average debt-EV of 24.99.
- The increase in its debt-EV to 24.09% from 23.27% (in 2016) was also accompanied by an increase in its peer median during this period to 22.23% from 20.66%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 0.75 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Kellogg Co.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|General Mills, Inc.||21.42||0.72||9.38||28.55|
|Mondelez International, Inc. Class A||22.23||0.56||4.19||18.4|
|TreeHouse Foods, Inc.||36.78||2.42||2.71||15.87|
|Hain Celestial Group, Inc.||18.26||2.6||8.64||27.54|
|Post Holdings, Inc.||55.02||5.53||1.84||9.88|
|Tyson Foods, Inc. Class A||23.12||1.62||12.21||42.82|
|Flowers Foods, Inc.||17.87||1.38||8.31||34.19|
|Best In Class||17.87||5.53||12.21||42.82|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Kellogg Co.?
Kellogg Co. engages in the manufacturing, marketing, and distribution of cereal and convenience foods, including cookies, crackers, toaster pastries, cereal bars, frozen waffles, and meat alternatives. It operates through the following segments: U.S. Morning Foods, U.S. Snacks, U.S. Specialty, North America Other, Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific. The U.S. Morning Foods segment includes cereal, toaster pastries, health and wellness bars, and beverages. The U.S. Snacks segment offers cookies, crackers, cereal bars, savory snacks, and fruit-flavored snacks. The U.S. Specialty segment represents food away from home channels, including food service, convenience, vending, Girl Scouts, and food manufacturing. The North America Other segment includes U.S. Frozen, Kashi, and Canada operating segments. The Europe segment consists of European countries. The Latin America segment comprises of Central and South America and includes Mexico. The Asia Pacific segment compose of Sub-Saharan Africa, Australia, and Asian and Pacific markets. The company was founded by Will Keith Kellogg in 1906 and is located in Battle Creek, MI.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.