Capitalcube gives Landec Corp. a score of 53.
Our analysis is based on comparing Landec Corp. with the following peers – PolyOne Corporation, Westlake Chemical Corporation, Huntsman Corporation, Kraft Heinz Company, Pinnacle Foods, Inc., J. M. Smucker Company, Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Inc., Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. and Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. (POL-US, WLK-US, HUN-US, KHC-US, PF-US, SJM-US, CPB-US, GIS-US, APD-US and FDP-US).
Landec Corp. has a fundamental score of 53 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Landec Corp.
- Considering peers, relative underperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a lagging position.
- It trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (1.52) than its peer median (2.83).
- The market expects faster earnings growth from LNDC-US than from its peers and also a turnaround in its current ROE.
- LNDC-US has relatively low net profit margins while its asset efficiency is relatively high.
- Compared with its chosen peers, changes in the company’s annual earnings are better than the changes in its revenue, implying better than median cost control and/or some economies of scale.
- LNDC-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s relatively low gross and pre-tax margins suggest a non-differentiated product portfolio and not much control on operating costs relative to peers.
- Compared with the peers chosen, LNDC-US has had faster revenue growth in prior years and a current P/E ratio that suggests faster growth in the future suggesting superior growth expectations.
- The company’s capital investment program and to-date returns suggest that the company is likely making big bets on the future.
- LNDC-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
Access our research and ratings on Landec Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
LNDC-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
- With debt at a relatively low 14.40% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 24.12%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 13.01x, LNDC-US can probably borrow quickly. We classify the company as Quick & Able in terms of its capacity to raise additional debt.
- All 10 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
LNDC-US has maintained its Quick & Able profile from the recent year-end.
- LNDC-US‘s interest coverage is its highest relative to the last five years and compares to a low of 5.75x in 2016.
- Though its interest coverage increased to 13.01x from 7.80x (in 2017), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at 7.37x.
- Interest coverage rose 5.64 points relative to peers.
- LNDC-US‘s debt-EV is greater than (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 12.21%.
- While its debt-EV increased to 14.40% from 12.70% (in 2017), its peer median decreased during this period to 24.12% from 25.80%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV rose 3.39 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Landec Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Westlake Chemical Corporation||24.14||2.31||6.57||37.63|
|Kraft Heinz Company||24.07||0.77||5.66||15.9|
|Pinnacle Foods, Inc.||30.88||1.8||3.51||15.76|
|J. M. Smucker Company||27.53||0.96||7.37||19.72|
|Campbell Soup Company||18.49||0.79||15.17||38.14|
|General Mills, Inc.||24.09||0.74||9.32||26.51|
|Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.||N/A||2.36||13.3||48.8|
|Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc.||11.05||2.64||27.36||93.33|
|Best In Class||11.05||2.64||27.36||93.33|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Landec Corp.?
Landec Corp. engages in the design, development, manufacture, and sale of health and wellness products for food and biomaterials markets. It operates through the following segments: Packaged Fresh Vegetables, Food Export, Biomaterials, and Other. The Packaged Fresh Vegetables segment sells Breathe Way packaging to partners for fruit, and vegetable products. The Food Export segment includes purchase and sale of whole commodity fruit, and vegetable products to Asia. The Biomaterials segment consists of products utilizing hyaluronan, a naturally occurring polysaccharide that is distributed in the extracellular matrix of connective tissues in both animals and humans, and non-HA products for medical use in the Ophthalmic, Orthopedic, and other markets. The Other segment focuses on corporate general and administrative expenses, non-packaged fresh vegetables and non-biomaterials interest income, and income tax expenses. The company was founded by Ray Stewart on October 31, 1986 and is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.