Capitalcube gives Matson, Inc. a score of 81.
Our analysis is based on comparing Matson, Inc. with the following peers – Golar LNG Limited, Genco Shipping & Trading Ltd and Rand Logistics, Inc. (GLNG-US, GNK-US and RLOG-US).
Matson, Inc. has a fundamental score of 81 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Matson, Inc.
- Compared to peers, relative underperformance over the last year is in contrast with the more recent outperformance.
- It currently trades at a Price/Book ratio of (2.39).
- MATX-US‘s operating performance is relatively good compared to its peers. The market currently does not expect high earnings growth relative to its peers but seems to expect the company to maintain its relatively high rates of return.
- MATX-US has a successful operating model with relatively high net profit margins and asset turns.
- Changes in annual revenues (relative to peers) are better than the change in its earnings (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on revenues.
- MATX-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- The company’s relatively high gross and pre-tax margins suggest a differentiated product portfolio and tight control on operating costs relative to peers.
- While MATX-US‘s revenues in recent years have grown faster than the peer median, the market gives the stock a P/E ratio that is around peer median suggesting that the market has some questions about the company’s long-term strategy.
- The company’s level of capital investment seems appropriate to support the company’s growth.
- MATX-US might have enough interest coverage to take-on additional debt prudently.
Access our research and ratings on Matson, Inc.
Leverage & Liquidity
MATX-US might have enough interest coverage to take-on additional debt.
- While MATX-US‘s debt to enterprise ratio of 37.06% is on the high side compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 64.76%), it also enjoys a relatively high interest coverage level of 4.85x which may give the company enough financial strength to support additional debt. Thus, the company is classified as having Some Capacity to raise more debt.
- All 3 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
MATX-US has maintained its Some Capacity profile from the recent year-end.
- MATX-US‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 11.58x in 2015.
- Though its interest coverage decreased to 4.85x from 5.85x (in 2016), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at -0.68x.
- Interest coverage fell 0.78 points relative to peers. It is also above the 2.50x coverage benchmark unlike the peer median.
- MATX-US‘s debt-EV is its highest relative to the last five years and compares to a low of 19.03% in 2015.
- While its debt-EV increased to 37.06% from 32.94% (in 2016), its peer median decreased during this period to 64.76% from 68.03%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV rose 7.40 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Matson, Inc.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Golar LNG Limited||54.3||0.51||-1.36||-1.85|
|Genco Shipping & Trading Ltd||75.22||5.84||-2.18||-0.09|
|Rand Logistics, Inc.||91.65||0.09||-0.01||2.44|
|Best In Class||37.06||5.84||4.85||31.26|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Matson, Inc.?
Matson, Inc. is a holding company, which engages in the provision of logistics and transportation services. It operates through two segments: Ocean Transportation and Logistics. The Ocean Transportation segment offers marine freight, container stevedoring, maintenance, and terminal activities. The Logistics segment includes domestic and international rail intermodal services, regional highway brokerage, specialized hauling, expedited freight operations, supply chain management, storage, and distribution services. The company was founded in 1882 and is headquartered in Honolulu, HI.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.