Capitalcube gives National HealthCare Corp. a score of 69.
Our analysis is based on comparing National HealthCare Corp. with the following peers – Capital Senior Living Corporation, Genesis Healthcare Inc Class A, Ensign Group, Inc., Five Star Senior Living Inc, Kindred Healthcare, Inc., Diversicare Healthcare Services, Inc. and Regional Health Properties, Inc. (CSU-US, GEN-US, ENSG-US, FVE-US, KND-US, DVCR-US and RHE-US).
National HealthCare Corp. has a fundamental score of 69 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on National HealthCare Corp.
- Considering peers, relative outperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a leading position.
- It’s current Price/Book of 1.44 is about median in its peer group.
- NHC-US‘s operating performance is relatively good compared to its peers. The market currently does not expect high earnings growth relative to its peers but seems to expect the company to maintain its relatively high rates of return.
- NHC-US has relatively high profit margins while operating with median asset turns.
- Compared with its chosen peers, changes in the company’s annual earnings are better than the changes in its revenue, implying better than median cost control and/or some economies of scale.
- NHC-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- The company’s median gross margin and relatively high pre-tax margins suggest non-differentiated product portfolio but with tight cost control relative to peers.
- While NHC-US‘s revenues growth has been below the peer median in the last few years, the market still gives the stock a P/E ratio that is around peer median and seems to see the company as a long-term strategic bet.
- The company’s level of capital investment is relatively low and suggests it is milking the business.
- NHC-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
Access our research and ratings on National HealthCare Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
NHC-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
- With debt at a relatively low 15.15% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 67.14%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 14.01x, NHC-US can probably borrow quickly. We classify the company as Quick & Able in terms of its capacity to raise additional debt.
- All 7 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
NHC-US has maintained its Quick & Able profile from the recent year-end.
- NHC-US‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 218.77x in 2013.
- Though its interest coverage decreased to 14.01x from 16.36x (in 2016), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at 0.83x.
- Interest coverage fell 2.508 points relative to peers. It is also above the 2.50x coverage benchmark unlike the peer median.
- NHC-US‘s debt-EV is over one standard deviation above its five-year average debt-EV of 7.91%.
- The increase in its debt-EV to 15.15% from 13.54% (in 2016) was also accompanied by an increase in its peer median during this period to 67.14% from 53.99%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 11.55 percentage points. Unlike the peer median, it is also below the 25% leverage benchmark.
Access the detailed analysis for National HealthCare Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Capital Senior Living Corporation||68.38||0.64||0.29||5.06|
|Genesis Healthcare Inc Class A||105.5||1.26||0.45||3.49|
|Ensign Group, Inc.||21.55||1.58||7.39||38.62|
|Five Star Senior Living Inc||72.08||0.61||-6.26||20.19|
|Kindred Healthcare, Inc.||76.71||1.51||1.31||-2.14|
|Diversicare Healthcare Services, Inc.||65.91||1.4||1.21||20.44|
|Regional Health Properties, Inc.||48.73||N/A||0.07||0.93|
|National HealthCare Corporation||15.15||2.4||14.01||66.32|
|Best In Class||15.15||2.4||14.01||66.32|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for National HealthCare Corp.?
National HealthCare Corp. engages in the operation of health care centers. It provides sub and post-acute nursing care, intermediate nursing care, rehabilitative care, senior living services and home health care services. The company also offers management services, accounting and financial services and insurance services to third party owners of health care facilities. National HealthCare was founded by Carl E. Adams in 1971 and is headquartered in Murfreesboro, TN.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.