Capitalcube gives NorthWestern Corp. a score of 56.
Our analysis is based on comparing NorthWestern Corp. with the following peers – MDU Resources Group, Inc., PG&E Corporation, Avista Corporation, NiSource Inc, PNM Resources, Inc., Exelon Corporation, IDACORP, Inc., CenterPoint Energy, Inc., Black Hills Corporation and Xcel Energy Inc. (MDU-US, PCG-US, AVA-US, NI-US, PNM-US, EXC-US, IDA-US, CNP-US, BKH-US and XEL-US).
NorthWestern Corp. has a fundamental score of 56 and has a relative valuation of NEUTRAL.
Access our research and ratings on NorthWestern Corp.
- Considering peers, relative underperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a lagging position.
- It’s current Price/Book of 1.70 is about median in its peer group.
- The market expects NWE-US to grow more slowly than its peers and for its median ROE to decline.
- NWE-US has relatively high profit margins while operating with median asset turns.
- Changes in annual revenues (relative to peers) are better than the change in its earnings (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on revenues.
- Over the last five years, NWE-US‘s return on assets has declined from above median to about median among its peers, indicating declining relative operating performance.
- The company’s relatively high gross margin suggests some differentiation with pricing advantages versus peers.
- While NWE-US‘s revenue growth in recent years has been above the peer median, the stock’s P/E ratio is less than the peer median suggesting that the company’s earnings may be peaking and the market expects a decline in its growth expectations.
- The company is likely overinvesting in a business with only median returns.
- NWE-US seems to be constrained by the current level of debt.
Access our research and ratings on NorthWestern Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
NWE-US is debt-constrained.
- With debt at a relatively high 41.97% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 41.97%), and interest coverage level of 2.66x, NWE-US seems debt-constrained.
- All 10 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
NWE-US has maintained its relatively high leverage profile from the recent year-end.
- NWE-US‘s interest coverage is similar to its five-year average interest coverage of 2.41x.
- Compared to 2016, interest coverage has remained relatively stable for both the company (2.66x) and the peer median (2.95x).
- NWE-US‘s debt-EV is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 46.38% in 2012.
- The decrease in its debt-EV to 41.97% from 43.63% (in 2016) was also accompanied by a decrease in its peer median during this period to 41.97% from 43.63%.
Access the detailed analysis for NorthWestern Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|MDU Resources Group, Inc.||25.76||1.46||4.75||30.76|
|PNM Resources, Inc.||46.82||0.46||2.42||17.6|
|CenterPoint Energy, Inc.||45.55||0.94||2.26||22.12|
|Black Hills Corporation||46.9||0.82||2.95||14.93|
|Xcel Energy Inc.||39.91||0.75||3.42||22.03|
|Best In Class||25.76||2.2||4.75||34.88|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for NorthWestern Corp.?
NorthWestern Corp. engages in generating and distributing electricity and natural gas. It operates through the following segments: Electric Operations, Natural Gas Operations, and All Other. The Electric Operations segment includes generation, transmission, and distribution of electric utility business as a vertically integrated generation transmission and distribution utility in Montana and South Dakota. The Natural Gas Operations segment includes the production, storage, transmission, and distribution of natural gas. The All Other segment consists of unallocated corporate costs. The company was founded in November 1923 and is headquartered in Sioux Falls, SD.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.