Capitalcube gives Obsidian Energy Ltd. a score of 9.
Our analysis is based on comparing Obsidian Energy Ltd. with the following peers – Vermilion Energy Inc., Encana Corporation, Pengrowth Energy Corporation, Sonde Resources Corp., Canadian Natural Resources Limited, Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd. and Baytex Energy Corp. (VET-US, ECA-US, PGH-US, SOQDQ-US, CNQ-US, AAV-CA and BTE-US).
Obsidian Energy Ltd. has a fundamental score of 9 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Obsidian Energy Ltd.
- From a peer analysis perspective, relative outperformance last month is up from a median performance last year.
- It trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (0.34) than its peer median (0.62).
- OBE-US‘s EBITDA-based price multiple implies around peer median growth. The market does not seem to expect much improvement in the company’s below peer median EBITDA-based returns.
- OBE-US‘s relatively low net margins and poor asset turns suggest a problematic operating strategy.
- Changes in annual earnings are in line with its chosen peers but lags in terms of revenue, implying the company is cost conscious and selective about spending for growth.
- OBE-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years has trailed the peer median and suggests the company might be operationally challenged relative to its peers.
- The company’s relatively low gross and pre-tax margins suggest a non-differentiated product portfolio and not much control on operating costs relative to peers.
- While OBE-US‘s revenues growth has been below the peer median in the last few years, the market still gives the stock a Price/EBITDA ratio that is around peer median and seems to see the company as a long-term strategic bet.
- The company’s relatively low level of capital investment and below peer median returns on capital suggest that the company is in maintenance mode.
- OBE-US‘s operating performance may not allow it to raise additional debt.
Access our research and ratings on Obsidian Energy Ltd.
Leverage & Liquidity
OBE-US would seem to have a hard time raising additional debt.
- With debt at 28.57% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 26.59%), and relatively tight interest coverage level of -5.41x, OBE-US would have a hard time raising much additional debt.
- Of the 7 chosen peers for the company, only 6 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include SOQDQ-US.
OBE-US has maintained its relatively low liquidity profile from the recent year-end.
- OBE-US‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 2.18x in 2014.
- While its interest coverage decreased to -5.41x from -1.69x (in 2016), its peer median increased during this period to 1.25x from -1.79x.
- Interest coverage fell 6.77 points relative to peers (and is now lower than its peer median).
- OBE-US‘s debt-EV is similar to last year’s low of 28.57%, which compares to the 2015 high of 78.18%.
- Compared to 2016, debt-EV has remained relatively stable for both the company (28.57%) and the peer median (26.59%).
Access the detailed analysis for Obsidian Energy Ltd.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Vermilion Energy Inc.||17.35||0.77||1.15||42.61|
|Pengrowth Energy Corporation||69.21||1.07||-0.95||11.94|
|Sonde Resources Corp.||0||7.29||No interest exp||999|
|Canadian Natural Resources Limited||26.59||0.71||2.91||27.47|
|Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd.||8.34||0.78||7.99||132.72|
|Baytex Energy Corp.||N/A||0.74||-1.07||17.3|
|Obsidian Energy Ltd||28.57||0.52||-5.41||14.22|
|Best In Class||8.34||7.29||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Obsidian Energy Ltd.?
Obsidian Energy Ltd. is a conventional oil and natural gas producer in Canada. It explores and produces oil and natural gas resources. The company engages in the business of acquiring, exploring, developing, exploiting and holding interests in petroleum and natural gas properties and related assets. Its portfolio of properties includes Cardium, Viking and Peace River areas of Alberta. The company was founded on December 27, 1979 and is headquartered in Calgary, Canada.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.