Capitalcube gives Swift Transportation Co. a score of 50.
Our analysis is based on comparing Swift Transportation Co. with the following peers – USA Truck, Inc., Celadon Group, Inc., Heartland Express, Inc., P.A.M. Transportation Services, Inc., J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., Covenant Transportation Group, Inc. Class A, Knight Transportation, Inc., Universal Logistics Holdings, Inc., Werner Enterprises, Inc. and Marten Transport, Ltd. (USAK-US, CGI-US, HTLD-US, PTSI-US, JBHT-US, CVTI-US, KNX-US, ULH-US, WERN-US and MRTN-US).
Swift Transportation Co. has a fundamental score of 50 and has a relative valuation of OVERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Swift Transportation Co.
- With respect to peers, relative outperformance over the last year is in contrast to the more recent underperformance.
- It currently trades at a Price/Book ratio of (2.98).
- We classify SWFT-US as Harvesting because of the market’s relatively low growth expectations despite its relatively high returns.
- SWFT-US‘s median net profit margins and relatively high asset efficiency give it some operating leverage.
- Compared with its chosen peers, changes in the company’s annual earnings are better than the changes in its revenue, implying better than median cost control and/or some economies of scale.
- SWFT-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years is around the peer median and suggest that it does not have any particular operational advantages versus peers.
- The company’s margins are around the peer medians and do not suggest any benefit from a pricing or an operating cost advantage versus peers.
- SWFT-US‘s revenues have grown more slowly than the peer median over the last few years, which combined with the stock price’s relatively low P/E ratio suggests substandard growth expectations relative to peers.
- The company’s capital investment program suggests it is under-investing in a business that is producing peer median returns.
- SWFT-US has additional debt capacity.
Access our research and ratings on Swift Transportation Co.
Leverage & Liquidity
SWFT-US has additional debt capacity.
- With debt at a reasonable 21.46% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 21.46%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 5.88x, SWFT-US has the capacity to borrow some more.
- Of the 10 chosen peers for the company, only 7 of the stocks have an outstanding debt balance. Companies with no debt include HTLD-US, KNX-US and MRTN-US.
SWFT-US has maintained its relatively high liquidity profile from the recent year-end.
- SWFT-US‘s interest coverage is downward trending but is still within one standard deviation above its five-year average interest coverage of 5.26x.
- The decrease in its interest coverage to 5.88x from 7.34x (in 2016) was also accompanied by a decrease in its peer median during this period to 4.75x from 6.92x.
- Interest coverage rose 0.72 points relative to peers.
- SWFT-US‘s debt-EV is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 57.90% in 2012.
- Like the interest coverage trend, the decrease in its debt-EV (to 21.46% from 27.15%) was also accompanied by a decrease in its peer median during this period (to 21.46% from 27.15%).
Access the detailed analysis for Swift Transportation Co.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|USA Truck, Inc.||68.21||1.13||-2.68||12.7|
|Celadon Group, Inc.||66.03||0.92||0.64||16.2|
|Heartland Express, Inc.||0||4.05||No interest exp||999|
|P.A.M. Transportation Services, Inc.||56.7||1.23||2.87||31.55|
|J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc.||8.62||1.49||26.16||90.29|
|Covenant Transportation Group, Inc. Class A||38.49||1.54||3.62||37.83|
|Knight Transportation, Inc.||0.68||3.21||263.18||321.7|
|Universal Logistics Holdings, Inc.||36.82||1.44||3.58||28.61|
|Werner Enterprises, Inc.||8.54||1.74||42.02||239.02|
|Marten Transport, Ltd.||1.03||1.48||0||527.22|
|Swift Transportation Company Class A||21.46||1.45||5.88||34.46|
|Best In Class||0.68||4.05||No interest exp||999|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Swift Transportation Co.?
Swift Transportation Co. engages in the provision of transportation solutions. It operates through the following segments: Truckload, Dedicated, Swift Refrigerated, and Intermodal. The Truckload segment consists of one-way movements over irregular routes throughout the United States, Mexico, and Canada. The Dedicated segment offers tailored solutions under long-term contracts. The Swift Refrigerated segment consists of shipments for customers that require temperature-controlled trailers. The Intermodal segment includes revenues generated by moving freight over the rail in the company’s containers and other trailing equipment; and revenues for drayage to transport loads between the railheads and customer locations. The company was founded by Jerry C. Moyes and Carl Moyes in 1966 and is headquartered in Phoenix, AZ.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.