Capitalcube gives Total SA a score of 63.
Our analysis is based on comparing Total SA with the following peers – ENGIE SA, BP p.l.c., Repsol SA, Royal Dutch Shell Plc Class A and Statoil ASA (ENGI-FR, BPE5-DE, REP-ES, RDSA-NL and STL-NO).
Total SA has a fundamental score of 63 and has a relative valuation of OVERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Total SA
- Considering peers, relative underperformance over the last year and the last month suggest a lagging position.
- It’s current Price/Book of 1.26 is about median in its peer group.
- FP-FR‘s operating performance is relatively good compared to its peers. The market currently does not expect high earnings growth relative to its peers but seems to expect the company to maintain its relatively high rates of return.
- FP-FR has relatively high profit margins while operating with median asset turns.
- Changes in annual revenues are in line with its chosen peers but lags in terms of earnings suggesting that the company is less cost conscious and may be spending for growth.
- FP-FR‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- The company’s median gross margin and relatively high pre-tax margins suggest non-differentiated product portfolio but with tight cost control relative to peers.
- FP-FR‘s revenue growth in recent years and current P/E ratio are both around their respective peer medians suggesting that historical performance and long-term growth expectations for the company are largely in sync.
- The company’s level of capital investment seems appropriate to support the company’s growth.
- FP-FR seems to be constrained by the current level of debt.
Access our research and ratings on Total SA
Leverage & Liquidity
FP-FR is debt-constrained.
- With debt at a relatively high 32.74% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 39.51%), and interest coverage level of 3.68x, FP-FR seems debt-constrained.
- All 5 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
FP-FR has maintained its Some Capacity profile from the recent year-end.
- FP-FR‘s interest coverage is its lowest relative to the last five years and compares to a high of 33.92x in 2012.
- While its interest coverage decreased to 3.68x from 5.96x (in 2016), its peer median increased during this period to 3.69x from 2.05x.
- Interest coverage fell 3.91 points relative to peers (and is now lower than its peer median).
- FP-FR‘s debt-EV continues to trend downward and is below (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 35.05%.
- Though its debt-EV decreased to 32.74% from 36.75% (in 2016), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at 39.51%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 4.34 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Total SA
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Royal Dutch Shell Plc Class A||27.5||1.23||4.13||42.66|
|Best In Class||27.5||1.54||8.32||48.23|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Total SA?
Total SA explores, develops, produces and markets oil and gas. It is also engaged in trading and shipping of crude oil and petroleum products. The company operates through the following segments: Upstream, Refining & Chemicals and Marketing & Services. The Upstream segment includes the activities of exploration & production and gas. The Refining & Chemicals segment encompasses refining, petrochemicals and specialty chemicals operations. This segment also includes the activities of trading & shipping. The Marketing & Services segment includes worldwide supply and marketing activities in the oil products and services field as well as the activity of New Energies. The company was founded on March 28, 1924 and is headquartered in Courbevoie, France.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.