Capitalcube gives Union Pacific Corp. a score of 66.
Our analysis is based on comparing Union Pacific Corp. with the following peers – Kansas City Southern, CSX Corporation, Canadian National Railway Company, Norfolk Southern Corporation, Canadian Pacific Railway Limited and Genesee & Wyoming, Inc. Class A (KSU-US, CSX-US, CNI-US, NSC-US, CP-US and GWR-US).
Union Pacific Corp. has a fundamental score of 66 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on Union Pacific Corp.
- Taking peer performance into consideration, relative performance over the last month and last year is around the peer median.
- It’s current Price/Book of 4.41 is about median in its peer group.
- UNP-US‘s operating performance is relatively good compared to its peers. The market currently does not expect high earnings growth relative to its peers but seems to expect the company to maintain its relatively high rates of return.
- UNP-US‘s relative asset efficiency and net profit margins are both around the median level.
- Compared with its chosen peers, the company’s annual revenues and earnings change at a slower rate, implying a lack of strategic focus and/or lack of execution success.
- UNP-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years suggest that its relatively high operating returns are sustainable.
- The company’s relatively high gross margin suggests some differentiation with pricing advantages versus peers.
- UNP-US‘s revenue growth in recent years and current P/E ratio are both around their respective peer medians suggesting that historical performance and long-term growth expectations for the company are largely in sync.
- The company’s level of capital investment suggests it might be under-investing in a business with above median returns.
- UNP-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
Access our research and ratings on Union Pacific Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
UNP-US has the financial and operating capacity to borrow quickly.
- With debt at a relatively low 15.50% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 19.52%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 10.89x, UNP-US can probably borrow quickly. We classify the company as Quick & Able in terms of its capacity to raise additional debt.
- All 6 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
UNP-US has maintained its Quick & Able profile from the recent year-end.
- UNP-US‘s interest coverage is similar to last year’s low of 10.42x, which compares to the 2014 high of 15.60x.
- Though its interest coverage has remained relatively stable at 10.89x compared to 2016, its peer median has increased to 6.70x from 6.05x during this period.
- UNP-US‘s debt-EV is greater than (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 13.58%.
- Though its debt-EV has remained relatively stable at 15.50% compared to 2016, its peer median has decreased to 19.52% from 23.76% during this period.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV rose 4.47 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for Union Pacific Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Kansas City Southern||18.8||0.87||8.63||34.96|
|Canadian National Railway Company||11.85||0.61||11.52||49.56|
|Norfolk Southern Corporation||22.77||0.83||5.71||29.5|
|Canadian Pacific Railway Limited||21.78||0.58||5.98||24.9|
|Genesee & Wyoming, Inc. Class A||35.15||1.26||3.97||19.06|
|Union Pacific Corporation||15.5||1.14||10.89||47.8|
|Best In Class||11.85||1.57||11.52||49.56|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for Union Pacific Corp.?
Union Pacific Corp. engages in the provision of railroad and freight transportation services. Its principal operating company, Union Pacific Railroad Co., operates as a railroad franchise. The Railroad’s diversified business mix includes agricultural products, automotive, chemicals, coal, industrial products, and intermodal. The company was founded in 1969 and is headquartered in Omaha, NE.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.