Capitalcube gives VSE Corp. a score of 41.
Our analysis is based on comparing VSE Corp. with the following peers – Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc., Engility Holdings, Inc., Northrop Grumman Corporation, Raytheon Company, Lockheed Martin Corporation, KEYW Holding Corporation, General Dynamics Corporation, Orbital ATK, Inc., Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings, Inc. and Teledyne Technologies Incorporated (KTOS-US, EGL-US, NOC-US, RTN-US, LMT-US, KEYW-US, GD-US, OA-US, AJRD-US and TDY-US).
VSE Corp. has a fundamental score of 41 and has a relative valuation of UNDERVALUED.
Access our research and ratings on VSE Corp.
- Compared to peers, relative underperformance over the last year is in contrast with the more recent outperformance.
- It trades at a lower Price/Book multiple (1.96) than its peer median (3.70).
- We classify VSEC-US as Challenged because of its below median returns and the market’s relatively low growth expectations.
- VSEC-US has relatively low net profit margins while its asset efficiency is relatively high.
- Changes in annual revenues (relative to peers) are better than the change in its earnings (relative to peers), implying the company is focused more on revenues.
- VSEC-US‘s return on assets currently and over the past five years is around the peer median and suggest that it does not have any particular operational advantages versus peers.
- The company’s relatively low gross and pre-tax margins suggest a non-differentiated product portfolio and not much control on operating costs relative to peers.
- While VSEC-US‘s revenue growth in recent years has been above the peer median, the stock’s P/E ratio is less than the peer median suggesting that the company’s earnings may be peaking and the market expects a decline in its growth expectations.
- The company’s capital investment program and to-date returns suggest that the company is likely making big bets on the future.
- VSEC-US has additional debt capacity.
Access our research and ratings on VSE Corp.
Leverage & Liquidity
VSEC-US has additional debt capacity.
- With debt at a reasonable 24.67% of its enterprise value compared to an overall benchmark of 25% (Note: The peer median is currently 22.85%), and a well-cushioned interest coverage level of 5.70x, VSEC-US has the capacity to borrow some more.
- All 10 peers for the company have an outstanding debt balance.
VSEC-US has moved to a relatively high liquidity from an Some Capacity profile at the recent year-end.
- VSEC-US‘s interest coverage is upward trending but is still within one standard deviation below its five-year average interest coverage of 7.15x.
- Compared to 2016, interest coverage has remained relatively stable for both the company (5.70x) and the peer median (7.56x).
- VSEC-US‘s debt-EV is less than (but within one standard deviation of) its five-year average debt-EV of 33.70%.
- Though its debt-EV decreased to 24.67% from 36.09% (in 2016), its peer median remained relatively stable during this period at 22.85%.
- Relative to peers, debt-EV fell 11.42 percentage points.
Access the detailed analysis for VSE Corp.
Key Liquidity Items
|Company||Debt/Enterprise Value (%)||Current Ratio||Interest Coverage (x)||Cash Flow To Total Debt (%)|
|Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc.||47.07||2.86||0.44||3.9|
|Engility Holdings, Inc.||44.41||1.34||1.76||12.08|
|Northrop Grumman Corporation||15.6||1.21||11.17||48.92|
|Lockheed Martin Corporation||14.29||1.32||8.15||42.58|
|KEYW Holding Corporation||23.09||1.48||-0.56||0.28|
|General Dynamics Corporation||7.23||1.37||43.03||88.78|
|Orbital ATK, Inc.||22.85||1.87||7.56||39.19|
|Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings, Inc.||44.37||1.66||4.35||24.27|
|Teledyne Technologies Incorporated||12.77||1.98||11.72||26.51|
|Best In Class||7.23||2.86||43.03||88.78|
Looking for more metrics and analysis for VSE Corp.?
VSE Corp. engages in the provision of engineering and technical support services. It operates through the following segments: Supply Chain Management; Aviation; Federal Services; and IT, Energy and Management Consulting. The Supply Chain Management segment distributes vehicle parts and accessories. The Aviation segment offers maintenance, repair, and operations services, supply chain solutions, and engine parts and equipment. The Federal Services segment includes engineering, industrial, logistics, and legacy equipment sustainment services. The IT, Energy and Management Consulting segment provides technical and advisory services to government agencies. The company was founded on January 22, 1959 and is headquartered in Alexandria, VA.
The information presented in this report has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but AnalytixInsight does not make any representation about the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of this information. This report was produced by AnalytixInsight for informational purposes only and nothing contained herein should be construed as an offer to buy or sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security or derivative instrument. This report is current only as of the date that it was published and the opinions, estimates, ratings and other information may change without notice or publication. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Prior to making an investment or other financial decision, please consult with your financial, legal and tax advisors. AnalytixInsight shall not be liable for any party’s use of this report. AnalytixInsight is not a broker-dealer and does not buy, sell, maintain a position, or make a market in any security referred to herein. One of the principal tenets for us at AnalytixInsight is that the best person to handle your finances is you. By your use of our services or by reading any our reports, you’re agreeing that you bear responsibility for your own investment research and investment decisions. You also agree that AnalytixInsight, its directors, its employees, and its agents will not be liable for any investment decision made or action taken by you and others based on news, information, opinion, or any other material generated by us and/or published through our services. For a complete copy of our disclaimer, please visit our website www.analytixinsight.com.