Webster Financial Corp. :WBS-US: Earnings Analysis: Q1, 2017 By the Numbers : May 18, 2017

Webster Financial Corp. reports financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2017.

We analyze the earnings along side the following peers of Webster Financial Corp. – Washington Trust Bancorp, Inc., Brookline Bancorp, Inc., First Bancorp, Inc., Century Bancorp, Inc. Class A, Camden National Corporation, Patriot National Bancorp, Inc., Boston Private Financial Holdings, Inc., Bankwell Financial Group, Inc., Independent Bank Corp. and Salisbury Bancorp, Inc. (WASH-US, BRKL-US, FNLC-US, CNBKA-US, CAC-US, PNBK-US, BPFH-US, BWFG-US, INDB-US and SAL-US) that have also reported for this period.


  • Summary numbers: Revenues of USD 257.73 million, Net Earnings of USD 59.37 million.
  • Net interest income margins narrowed from 75.02% to 74.75% compared to the same period last year.
  • Net loan assets changed 7.72% compared to same period last year and 0.38% from previous period, total deposits changed 8.10% compared to same period last year and 4.86% from previous period.
  • Year-on-year change in operating cash flow of 11,079.86% is about the same as the change in earnings, likely no significant movement in accruals or reserves.
  • Earnings growth from operating margin improvements as well as from one-time items.

The table below shows the preliminary results and recent trends for key metrics such as revenues and net income (See complete table at the end of this report):

2017-03-31 2016-12-31 2016-09-30 2016-06-30 2016-03-31
Relevant Numbers (Quarterly)
Revenues (mil) 257.73 255.88 245.64 238.18 238.55
Revenue Growth (%YOY) 8.04 9.37 7.32 8.16 9.69
Earnings (mil) 59.37 57.52 51.66 50.42 48.51
Earnings Growth (%YOY) 22.38 9.7 0.57 -3.59 -2.15
Net Margin (%) 23.03 22.48 21.03 21.17 20.34
EPS 0.62 0.6 0.54 0.53 0.51
Return on Equity (%) 9.02 8.81 7.96 7.88 7.66
Return on Assets (%) 0.91 0.89 0.81 0.81 0.78

Access our Ratings and Scores for Webster Financial Corp.

Market Share Versus Profits

Revenues History
Earnings History

WBS-US‘s change in revenue this period compared to the same period last year of 8.04% is almost the same as its change in earnings, and is about average among the announced results thus far in its peer group, suggesting that WBS-US is holding onto its market share. Also, for comparison purposes, revenues changed by 0.73% and earnings by 3.21% compared to the immediate last period.

Revenues Growth Versus Earnings Growth

Quadrant label definitions. Hover to know more

Leader, Earnings Focus, Laggard, Revenues Focus

Earnings Growth Analysis

The company’s net interest income margins showed no year-on-year improvement. In spite of this, the earnings rose, influenced primarily by the increase in net interest income after provisions margins from 68.48% to 70.68%. Loan loss provisions as a percentage of net interest income were 5.45% this period, and 8.72% a year ago.

Net Interest Income Margin Versus Loan Loss Provisions Margin

Quadrant label definitions. Hover to know more

High Risk; High Reward Loans, Risky Loan Portfolio, Conservative Loan Portfolio, Safer Loan Portfolio
Net Interest Income Margin History
Loan Loss Provisions Margin History

Net Loans and Total Deposits

A financial institution’s core operations represented by Net Interest Income and Net Interest Income after Provisions are dependent on both the growth and quality of its deposits as well as the growth and quality of its loans. A firm could boost its interest income in the short-term by just increasing its loan assets with less concern about their quality – but this would eventually lead to greater loan loss provisions. Similarly a drive to increase deposits could result in higher interest expenses and eventually effect the firm’s equity. It is thus important to understand net interest income performance in context to loan loss provisions, loan assets and deposits.

Loan Assets Growth Rate History (Qtr YOY)
Total Deposits Growth Rate History (Qtr YOY)

The firm’s decline in net interest income margins came despite the relative increase in the levels of net loan assets. In addition, total deposits as a percentage of equity went from 7.68% to 7.91%. On an absolute basis, net loan assets changed 7.72% compared to the same period last year and 0.38% from the previous period. Total deposits changed 8.10% compared to the same period last year and 4.86% from the previous period.

Cash Versus Earnings – Sustainable Performance?

It is important to examine a company�s cash versus earnings numbers to gauge whether its performance is sustainable.

WBS-US‘s change in operating cash flow of 11,079.86% compared to the same period last year is about the same as its change in earnings this period. Additionally, this change in operating cash flow is about average among its peer group. This suggests that the company did not use accruals or reserves to manage earnings this period, and that, all else being equal, the earnings number is sustainable.

Operating Cash Flow Growth Versus Earnings Growth

Quadrant label definitions. Hover to know more

Cash Flow based Earnings, Likely Non-cash Earnings, Low Cash Flow Base, Likely Undeclared Earnings


The company’s earnings growth has also been influenced by the following factors: (1) Improvements in operating margins from 30.59% to 31.59% and (2) one-time items. The company’s pretax margins are now 31.59%, compared to 30.53% for the same period last year.

EBIT Margin History
PreTax Margin History
EBIT Margin Versus PreTax Margin

Quadrant label definitions. Hover to know more

Operation driven Earnings, One-time Favorables, Low Earnings Base, One-time Unfavorables

Access our Ratings and Scores for Webster Financial Corp.

Company Profile

Webster Financial Corp. operates as a holding company for Webster Bank NA. The company engages in providing financial services to individuals, families and businesses. It offers equipment financing, commercial real estate lending and asset-based lending services. The company operates through the following business segments: Commercial Banking, Community Banking, HSA Bank and Private Banking. The Commercial Banking segment includes middle market, asset-based lending, commercial real estate, equipment finance and treasury and payment solutions, which includes government and institutional banking. The Community Banking segment serves consumer and business banking customers primarily throughout southern New England and into Westchester County, New York. It is comprised of personal banking and business banking supported by a distribution network consisting of banking centers and ATMs, a customer care center, telephone banking and a full range of web and mobile-based banking services. The HSA Bank segment offers health savings accounts, health reimbursement accounts, flexible spending accounts, and other financial solutions for healthcare. The Private Banking segment provides local, full relationship banking that serves high net worth clients, not-for-profit organizations and business clients for asset management, trust, loan, and deposit products and financial planning services. Webster Financial was founded in 1986 and is headquartered in Waterbury, CT.

CapitalCube does not own any shares in the stocks mentioned and focuses solely on providing unique fundamental research and analysis on approximately 50,000 stocks and ETFs globally. Try any of our analysis, screener or portfolio premium services free for 7 days. To get a quick preview of our services, check out our free quick summary analysis of WBS-US.